How do you stay active with your four-legged family member(s)? Does your pup get as much activity as its furry companions? Are you doing your best to keep them healthy and moving?
Did you know there is now a great way to help boost both you and your pup’s activity?
The Whistle Fit GPS & Activity Tracker is a fun new way to get connected with your furball’s daily activity and to also keep a close eye on them (if they so happen to be escape artists who love to roam). This nifty gadget is the perfect gift for your family and friends who share their lives with curious canine companions.
So what in the heck does this thing do? Is it really like fitbit for dogs?
Whistle GPS Pet Tracker combines the best on-collar GPS tracking device with a simple mobile app, putting your pet’s needs and location right at your fingertips whenever you need it.
- On-demand alerts – Receive notifications via app and text alerts when your pet leaves their home zone.
- Nationwide coverage – Whistle uses cellular and GPS technology to track your dog’s location anywhere in the U.S.
- Health monitoring – Track your dog’s activity and rest for key insights about their behavior and health.
- Durable + waterproof – Designed to go anywhere with your pet.
- Easy to use – Attaches to any collar or harness up to 1″ wide
In short, yes, it does act like a fitbit for dogs, but it has a few more fun features. The most important and usable feature (in my opinion) is the GPS location tracking.
The app allows you to designate a specific zone radius and if your dog leaves that zone you’ll receive notification of their whereabouts. I was able to stalk my husband on a walk one day and found him and Harley based on the live tracking feature.
You can also connect with fellow users to compare activity levels for similar pets. I noticed that dogs like Harley were slightly less active, so I specifically made it my goal to double his overall activity level in comparison.
I loved being able to see when Harley’s activity trends were highest and was fond of the daily updates. I’ll admit, I was a bit concerned when I saw the amount of rest time he was getting, but he’s still a pup and in my experience pups sleep/rest A LOT. In fact, I’m fairly certain this must be common of most dogs (considering how much more active Harley was than others).
Now, let’s get down to the nitty gritty! What did I think? I’ve compiled a list of pros and cons for the device and would definitely recommend it.
- Sturdy and waterproof
- Long lasting battery life (I only charged it twice in the month that I used it).
- Ability to add multiple users to the account.
- GPS tracking updates for out of zone activity (easy way to find your runaway pup)
- Easy to use app.
- Brings awareness to your pet’s day-to-day activity (you can see how your life’s activities impact their’s).
- Fun way to boost your and your pet’s daily activity.
- Easy to set up.
- Inconsistent in auto-updates for daily activity. I often needed to press the page button on the home base to get the tracker to update its activity in the app. I would prefer immediate real-time updates for his activity.
- Limited number of people I knew using the app.
- Requires a subscription service to work.
I’m curious to see how things change as Harley ages and look forward to using this device even after my trial runs out. I’m impressed that such a techy device comes at a reasonably affordable price. I might just need to gift one to my mother! Our family dog has always been a bit of a wanderer and I think this would be a great way to give her a peace of mind.
What do you think? Does this seem like a silly product? Or like something you would like to try?
Guess what? I have two ways for you to get your hands on one of these! You can either enter my giveaway for a chance to win one device (+3 months subscription) or you can buy one and save $30 off of your purchase with the code: WhistleFit (expires 11/23)
How to enter (follow the rafflecopter link to enter):
- Instagram about the giveaway, using the tag #WhistleFit
- Tweet about the giveaway, tagging #WhistleFit
- Follow Whistle on Insta, Twitter, and Facebook
Disclaimer: This is an unbiased review. As an SPA, I am often provided with opportunities to review certain fitness/health related products. I was not paid for my review, but did receive a free product for testing.